Thank you for your interest in this topic but this request for proposal is now closed.
Sep 20 2012
- Buying the requested technology
- Licensing the technology
- Contractual partnership (R&D, marketing…)
You have 2 options for submitting a Proposal:
- On-line submission
(fill out the on-line Proposal template, accept the Proposal Submission Terms and click on "Submit")
- Download the Proposal Submission Template
and send it back to firstname.lastname@example.org
Give the most attractive description of your proposed solution in field 2 "General Description of your Proposal".
Do not unveil any confidential information at this stage.
Type of solution sought
- A material
- A technology
- A partner
Description of Desired Solution
A SpecialChem client is looking for an organic pigment dispersing agent that is functional in an anhydrous formula that may contain waxes, oils/esters, and/or polymers (see detailed solution description below).
The SpecialChem client has been exploring wetting and dispersing agents to help maximize color strength of pigments in anhydrous formulas. (The role of wetting agents is to replace the air with the media in which the pigment is to be placed, whereas dispersing aids are used to keep the pigment particles in their smallest form and prevent agglomeration of the pigments).
He has tried various types of dispersing aids such as polar surfactants, alkyl silicones, and polymers containing with acidic and basic groups, but none of the previously mentioned materials provide good pigment dispersing behavior (measured by intensity of color) for both organic and inorganic pigments.
SpecialChem client has found some solutions for inorganic pigments, but no materials thus far provide good dispersing behavior for organic pigments. Our client desires a material/technology that will preferably work for organic pigments or a material that will work well for both organic and inorganic pigments.
Detailed Solution Description
The SpecialChem client preference would be for a pigment dispersing agent for organic pigments (e.g., Ca, Ba, or Al Lakes of D&C dyes)
that is functional in an anhydrous system that may contain natural/synthetic waxes, oils/esters (e.g., triglycerides, branched chain hydrocarbons, esters of long chain fatty acids)
, and/or polymers (e.g., polyethylene, polyesters, etc). Secondary, would be a dispersing aid that works for both organic pigments and inorganic pigments (e.g., iron oxides).
Our client would be interested in either:
- An individual ingredient that can work with its pigments in its pigment preparations and/or formulations
- A ready-to-use pigmentary paste.
SpecialChem client is looking to achieve approximately 10-20% pigment in final formulas. For pastes, he desires materials with 30-50% pigment in medium. Individual materials or pigmentary paste technologies should be provided in or be compatible with polar oils (e.g., triglycerides or esters of long chain fatty acids) and/or non-polar oils (e.g., linear or branched chain hydrocarbons).
All materials and solvents must:
- Be non-toxic
- Have low/no odor
- Have no adverse taste
- Have low/no tack
- Be non-derived from animals
- Be able to withstand temperature ranges of -20°C to 120°C
The materials must not be supplied in or contain residual levels of toxic solvents, e.g., benzene or ketone derivatives such as:
- Alkyl benzene
- Methyl Ethyl ketone
Compositional information must be shared for safety evaluation and commercialization in accordance with government regulations.
- Materials/technologies should be commercial or close to commercialization.
- Material/technology must be protected by intellectual property or have clear freedom to operate in cosmetics/personal care
- Solution must not increase total cost of goods appreciably.
Possible Routes To Investigate (Not Limited to)
Materials/technologies from Inks, Paints, Coatings, Plastics, Specialty Chemicals.
Solution that are not of interest
- Those from the cosmetic/personal care industry; solutions that are not safe for use on the human body
- The solution must not be supplied in or contains residual levels of toxic solvents, e.g., benzene or ketone derivatives
- The solution must not be derived from animals.
Timeframe for adopting this solution
Other Comments / Important Considerations
- The SpecialChem client has a good track record of taking materials from adjacent industries and developing new consumer products
- The SpecialChem client would prefer ready-to-use materials and technologies
- Solutions with supporting data from similar systems to those used by our client are preferred
- Proposed material/technology must be protected by intellectual property or have clear freedom to operate in cosmetics/personal care
- The SpecialChem client is interested in receiving technologies that could be “exclusive” to the Cosmetic Industry
- Materials/technologies should be commercial or close to commercialization
- Supplier must have the ability to supply globally or be open to work with global distributors.
Type of Outcome expected
- Ready-to-be-used solutions
- Co-development partners
- Proven concepts
Seeker's Company Demographics
- Industry our client is in: Leading company in Cosmetics/Personal Care
- Annual Revenue: Greater than 5 billion USD
- Years in Business: >100+
- Headquarters Area: USA