Thank you for your interest in this topic but technology is now closed.
Sep 27 2012
- Licensing the technology
- Contractual partnership (R&D, marketing...)
- Business cooperation with Global Coatings Cies
You have 2 options to go further:
- Request Online Introduction
(fill out the on-line questionnaire, accept the terms and click on "Submit")
- Download further information
(download a detailed description of the proposed technology, including case-study, in exchange of your contact details)
For more information about this technology, you can also contact Sébastien Gourdon at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do not unveil any confidential information at this stage.
Type of solution proposed
A Proof of Concept
Description of Proposed Solution
Our Client has designed and developed an aluminum phosphate technology and is looking for a co-development partner who, typically, will expand and/or formulate the product for a specific end-use. A joint development process is envisioned in which the SpecialChem client will identify specific end-use targets, provide samples, potentially tailor the product, or create a proprietary product, if commercially viable.
A global agribusiness and food company has developed an aluminum phosphate technology platform through the company's technical and commercial history in phosphoric acid and phosphate applications. This company has successfully discovered and developed new uses for phosphate chemistry through innovations in synthesis and formulation of value-added products that satisfy unmet requirements in corrosion control, paint and coatings formulation, antimicrobial applications, and fire endurance (intumescent coating) applications.
The company has made a significant multi-year R&D investment, led by a seasoned team of chemical industry professionals. The company is now introducing its first product commercially. A pilot plant constructed in 2011 has commenced operations and provides material for application testing, samples for potential customers, and engineering data. In the next 1 to 3 years, the company plans to achieve global presence and to expand its product offerings.
Basis for the activity is a first commercially available product that is a corrosion inhibiting pigment for a wide variety of paint uses, including industrial maintenance and marine protective coatings, coil coatings, and automotive refinishing. The engineered aluminum phosphate slows both the degradation of the film (e.g., by blistering) and the consequential rate of corrosion. As a result, this diffusion inhibition property improves barrier properties and ultimately the overall life of the substrate. Tests have included salt fog and prohesion exposures, and EIS and salt soak testing.
The company is now preparing for scale-up to industrial scale and wants to significantly broaden the scope of application of this technology. To do so the company is open to multiple ways of collaboration, including joint development agreements in new fields of application, as well as commercial joint-ventures.
Detailed Solution Description
The solution consists of a synthesis platform for the preparation of aluminum phosphate compositions having engineered particle morphology and controlled release properties. Typical features include: particle size distribution (including nano-range) that allows for tailoring a range of product properties with variations of soluble content, surface area, porosity, and crystallinity content and type.
The company is looking for partners with whom to develop new applications that will leverage the properties of surface area, porosity and controlled release properties of the aluminum phosphate technology.
The technology has generated multiple products solutions for a broad spectrum of applications, such as
- Silver aluminum phosphate compositions for use as the anti-microbial additive for in hygienic coatings and formulated products . Prototype testing indicates that the silver aluminum phosphate technology performs as well as commercially available silver based biocides and formulated products used as controls. The synthesis platform is being used to extend both anti-microbial performance as well as cost effectiveness of the formulated products.
- Aluminum phosphate compositions can be used as extenders for TiO2 reduction in architectural paints. Testing indicates that it may be used to replace up to 40% of the titanium dioxide contained in the formulation (provided that approximately 10% TiO2-PVC remains)
- Prototype development has shown promise in Ink Jet applications as a pigment that flows well at a solids level above 30%
Areas considered for further exploration include, but should not be limited to:
- binders for fibers and ceramics
- vaccine adjuvant;
- thin film adhesive coatings for applications requiring high density and durability
- catalyst supports,
- carriers / supports for anti-microbial agents;
- Stain blocking additive for architectural coating applications.
The company is also very interested in working on development new applications outside this initial exploration space.
Proposals that are not of interest
Our client has no interest in being contacted by sales agents, distributors, brokers or pure marketing opportunities.
Other Comments / Important Considerations
The best contacts for our client will be end user or chemical companies preferably research driven, with an active chemical synthesis group. The partners would have strong ambition for developing significant projects that could leverage the product spectrum provided by the aluminum phosphate technology platform.
Industry our client is in (Chemical, Automotive, Consumer Goods…) Agribusiness & Food
Annual Revenue: >$50B
Years in Business: 200 years
Headquarters Area: USA