Thank you for your interest in this topic but this request for proposal is now closed.
Dec 29 2011
- Joint development
You have 2 options for submitting a Proposal:
- On-line submission
(fill out the on-line Proposal template, accept the Proposal Submission Terms and click on "Submit")
- Download the Proposal Submission Template
and send it back to email@example.com
Give the most attractive description of your proposed solution in field 2 "General Description of your Proposal".
Do not unveil any confidential information at this stage.
Type of solution sought
- A Material
- A Technology
- A Co-Dev Partner
Description of Desired Solution
A technology that signals the completion of a cleansing task, via color change. Product (forms: Liquid/gel/foam) is being dispensed from a container and is intended to be used by the consumer for cleansing his/her hands, body, hair, etc.. Product is manipulated (rubbed by hands or applied on a pouf) and is being used with water to produce lather. The desired solution would be for the product to change color as the cleansing task reaches completion. This way the consumer will know that the job is done. Color changing can take place gradually or abruptly.
Signals are a key opportunity for Personal Care cleansing products. Instead of having consumers time the particular cleansing task, the product provides a visual cue to signify completion.
Products can include (but not limited to): Liquid handsoap, bodywash, shower gel, shampoo, facial cleanser.
Areas already investigated:
- Color changing dyes (including pH color changing indicators, oxidizing dyes)
- Thymol-based chemistry proven to be unstable due to high pH required (pH>10.5)
- Film technology; Polymer-based strips containing pigments
Detailed Solution Description
Liquid cleansing product that exhibits a color change that starts when the product applied to the surface that is intended to clean/disinfect and continues during is use
- Color change within 15-30 seconds of use (i.e. handsoap)
- Should work with warm or cold water (Temperature range: 20-30C°)
- Color intensity strong enough to be seen by consumer
- Final product should not stain surfaces if dropped accidentally (tiles, counter tops)
- Should be compatible with formula components (surfactants, rheological builders, emulsifiers, humectants, skin conditioners, preservatives, chelating agents) and stable when incorporated in a liquid/gel/semi-liquid formula at pH: 3.8 - 7.5.
- Final product must pass accelerated stability testing requirements (3mo @ 40C°/70%RH)
- Should have enough safety information available to ensure it can be used in the products of interest listed above
Possible Routes To Investigate (Not Limited to)
- Dyes/ Pigments (beyond pH, Redox, chelating mechanisms), that render color changing.
- Technologies: Encapsulates of any sort of dyes or pigments (Note: capsules should break in wet conditions and/or upon rubbing).
Solution that are not of interest
- Color changing taking place through the package (i.e. color “beads” housed at the pump of a LHS bottle; each time LHS is squeezed, color “beads” are mixed with the liquid)
- Use of dual products (2 formulas separated by the package; color change achieved by mixing the 2 formulas)
Timeframe for adopting this solution
If technology is identified (fulfills Regulatory & Safety requirements) product will be launched globally within 9 months.
Other Comments / Important Considerations
- Identified technology solution must be compatible with fragrances
- Stable in highly aqueous systems (80-90%) and at temperatures up to 45C° (if not stable at sunlight conditions, confirm that it would be stable in an opaque package/under sunlight conditions)
- Regulatory & Safety considerations for application in PCP (Personal Care products)
- Ready to co-develop technology with potential partner
Type of Outcome expected
- Ready to use solutions
Seeker's Company Demographics
- Industry our client is in: Consumer Goods
- Annual Revenue: Fortune 500 company with Global R&D capabilities