Thank you for your interest in this topic but this request for proposal is now closed.
Jun 16 2011
- Our client is open to all kind of collaborations.
You have 2 options for submitting a Proposal:
- On-line submission
(fill out the on-line Proposal template, accept the Proposal Submission Terms and click on "Submit")
- Download the Proposal Submission Template
and send it back to firstname.lastname@example.org
Give the most attractive description of your proposed solution in field 2 "General Description of your Proposal".
Do not unveil any confidential information at this stage.
Description of Desired Solution
Our client is looking for a dispersing agent, surfactant to disperse and stabilize a suspension of nanoparticles (less than 100 nanometers) of a metal oxide in an organic solvent, ideally isopropoxyethanol – IPE. The suspension is to be applied as 1 micron thick coating. The surfactant should leave the oxide surface for instance under thermal treatment below 140°C in a few minutes. Ideally the surfactant should be compatible with silane chemistry. Other type of treatments might be considered or ways of degradation/decomposition.
Usual surfactant technology does not enable to create fully percolated network of nano-particle except if this surfactant is removed from final coating. Percolation is critical to obtain specific properties mechanical, optical, electrical. One way of removing the surfactant is to burn it, which means heating at a temperature high enough so as to decompose the molecule. The present surfactant is Trixoydecanoic acid (TODA) whose decomposition temperature is around 250°C. This temperature is too high for the substrate considered presently. The temperature should never go above 140°C more than 10 minutes. In the final formulation this suspension will be included in a matrix created from silane, so compatibility with the silane chemistry is required. The suspension is in a high value specialty application and typical yearly consumption would be of a few tons per year.
Detailed Solution Description
Our client is seeking a solution with the following properties:
- Ability to disperse nanoparticles of less than 100 nanometer of metal oxide in organic solvent ideally IPE
- Able to leave the oxide surface below 140°C
- Silane chemistry compatibility
- Elimination of surfactant should be obtained in limited time - typically a few minutes, maximum 10
- In the case additives are used they should not deteriorate the metal oxide and should not adversely affect the silane curing
- Solution has to be operable at ambient pressure
- Use of vacuum-based processing should be avoided / reduced, specially high vacuum
Possible Routes To Investigate (Not Limited to)
- Dispersing agent similar to the existing one - Trixoydecanoic acid (TODA) - with shorter chains or different structure
- Decomposition of the dispersing agent under the action Infra-Red (IR), near IR, visible light or laser light. UV treatment would be acceptable if total energy delivered is small or very limited in time
- Combination of dispersant and agent of photo or thermal degradation and the necessary process related to the decomposing agent process
Solution that are not of interest
- High power UV treatments
- Experimental or research products not yet available industrially
Timeframe for adopting this solution
Feasibility demonstration by the end of June 2011. Full qualification and industrial availability – end of October 2011.
Other Comments / Important Considerations
- The final product is for very high value niche applications, so high value solutions can be considered
- Our client is open to not only buy the proposed product but also co-develop the solution with potential partners and share added value
- Our client value sustainable chemistry, even though sustainability is not a priority for this project
Type of Outcome expected
Ready to use solutions: ready to use product & process combination. Test or validation of a proposed product can be covered in 48 hours
Seeker's Company Demographics
- Industry our client is in: Multinational Chemical producer active in specialty products (leader in his markets).
- Annual Revenue: Multi-billion $
- Years in Business: More than 100
- Headquarters Area: EUROPE, but active in Americas and Asia